What can I do if a company or organisation is using my personal data against my will?

  • It may be useful to contact the company or organisation itself first. Regardless of whether you do that, however, you can also file a complaint with your national Data Protection Authority – even if the company or organisation does not have an office in your country. And if you’re not satisfied with the DPA’s decision, you can take the company or organisation to court.

  • You can also skip the DPA and go directly to court if you feel your rights have been violated.

  • If as a result of a violation you have suffered material or non-material damage, you can seek financial compensation.

  • Third parties, such as consumer protection agencies, digital rights foundations or other interest groups, could also litigate on behalf of you and others.